Is your pet itchy? Is their skin irritated or eyes runny? You can help them naturally with diet and supplements.
- Itchy Skin
- Runny Nose
- Hot Spots
- Goopy Eyes
- Red, Irritated Skin
- Digestive Upsets
- Ear Discharge
If your pet suffers from any of these problems they will benefit from some specific supplements and diet improvements.
HOW THE HEALTH OF THE LIVER IMPACTS EVERYTHING ELSE
The liver is arguably the most important organ of the body for maintaining basic health. It is responsible for metabolizing food and detoxifying the body, thus proper functioning of the liver is key to the body’s ability to absorb nutrition, maintain a healthy immune system, and deal with toxins entering the body. When the liver is not functioning properly the delicate ecology of the body is polluted, organs are weakened, and a cascade of problems occur, especially to the general functioning of the immune system.
WHAT DOES THE LIVER HAVE TO DO WITH ALLERGIES?
A healthy liver produces an enzyme called histaminase, which acts as a natural antihistamine. When the liver is stressed it cannot produce enough of this enzyme, so the natural protection is gone and allergy symptoms appear. This happens well after the liver overburdened by toxins
If your pet is showing signs of serious health problems it’s important to see your veterinarian for tests to ensure that they are not suffering from serious liver disease. Our suggestions cannot take the place of proper veterinary care.
- Herbs – herbal supplements are an essential component for improving liver function, reducing allergy symptoms, and improving the immune system.
- Digestive Enzymes and Pre/Pro-biotics – these should be a part of every pet’s diet. They reduce inflammation, improve digestion, and improve the immune system. Enzymes improve the assimilation of EFAs by 71%.
- Essential Fatty Acids – fish oil added to the food is the best source of Omega-3 EFAs. EFA’s reduce the body’s inflammatory response to invading allergens and improve skin integrity. Absorption of allergens through the skin is one of the primary routes.
- Joint Supplements – those containing MSM, Chondroitin, and herbs help inflammation throughout the body, not just in the joints.
- Healthy Diet – it’s essential that your pet get the best food possible. If it includes some fresh food that’s even better. Older animals in particular need highly digestible food in order for them to have a healthy immune system.
HOW TO USE SUPPLEMENTS SO THEY WORK
Natural, whole-food supplements work best when given consistently over time. They allow the body to naturally and easily adjust to a healthier state. If your pet is unaccustomed to natural supplements, start slowly – spend a week getting the dose to the full amount, and wait 2 weeks between new supplement starts. If your pet is very ill, please use herbs under the guidance of a qualified practitioner.
1. Digestive Enzymes, Probiotics, and Fish Oil should be used all year long.
2. Itchy Skin, Runny Eyes & Nose
a. Seasonally: Animals’ Apawthecary Spring Tonic
Should be given for the whole season. The best pattern for this use is twice a day on the weekdays, taking the weekends off.
3. Hot Spots, Ear Discharge
a. Seasonally: Animals’ Apawthecary Detox Blend
Use this twice a day for at least one month.
4. A chronic combination of 2 & 3?
a. Use Spring Tonic when #2 symptoms are the worst.
b. Use Detox Blend for one month the Autumn, and one month in early Spring (this pattern can be customized for your pet, so please work with your holistic practitioner). The best pattern for this use is twice a day on the weekdays, taking the weekends off.
c. Rotate between Animals’ Apawthecary Milk Thistle, Mushroom Matrix, and Herbal Energetics Pet Boost the rest of the year.
5. Middle-aged or Elderly Pets with itchy, dull skin and other moderate symptoms
a. Seasonally: Animals’ Apawthecary Spring Tonic along with Animal Essentials Organic Green Alternative
b. The rest of the year: Animals’ Apawthecary Senior Blend and Mushroom Matrix
6. Looking for non-plant options?
a. Use medicinal mushrooms from Mushroom Matrix for the immune system and enzymes, and MSM for anti-inflammatory needs.
Check out these books next time you’re in our store:
• The New Holistic Way for Dogs & Cats
• Whole Health for Happy Cats
• Dr. Pitcairn’s Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats
• Four Paws Five Directions
Download this information as a PDF
See our complete list of informative PDFs on our Health and Information page